Driver License Information for Out-of-State and International Students
- Oregon law requires all persons driving in Oregon to have a valid (current) driver license, whether the license is issued by the State of Oregon, another state, or another country.
- Non-residents may apply for an Oregon driver license at any time after moving to Oregon.
You are required to have an Oregon license to drive in Oregon if:
- You have continuously remained in this state for more than 6 months; or
- You have enrolled your child in public school in Oregon and don’t pay tuition for your child; or
- You declare yourself as a resident in order to obtain resident rates for some other license or privilege (for example, by applying for resident tuition).
Applying for an Oregon driver license may not be the best for everyone
Students from some states, including Alaska, may have a financial interest in maintaining non-resident/Alaska resident status. For those students, obtaining an Oregon driver license could be counterproductive to maintaining their home state residency.